AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Bad mom

What a crazy day today! I took Kalten to the library like usual, and when we were leaving, I finally figured out how to outsmart the car. It's almost impossible to lock your keys in there without meaning to, but I did it. It was cold, so I hit the auto-start button to warm the car up, which requires you to lock the car and push auto-start within a second or so. When you hit lock with one of the doors open, it dings and then waits for five seconds after all the doors are closed, and then locks. I threw the keys onto the seat, finished buckling Kalten in, handed him a box of raisins, and shut the door, completely forgetting the five-second rule, or that I had even locked it in the first place. I got around to my door, had my hand on the handle, and heard the thunk of the lock. I looked in the car and there were my keys, sitting on the seat.

Paul wasn't answering his phone. He slept through three calls. I called my sister-in-law, and she said she would be right there. I stood there outside the car watching Kalten blissfully eat his box of raisins. He kept looking at me funny, like "why aren't you getting in?" Eventually, he got down to the point where he couldn't reach the rest of the raisins. He always needs my help at that point, and he started crying when I wouldn't help him. So of course I started crying.

Meanwhile, my sister-in-law and my brother went to our house, woke Paul up, got his keys, and brought them to the library. I was standing outside the car being all upset, and suddenly it unlocked. I didn't see anyone around and it really freaked me out. I flung the door open just in case it decided to lock again. I looked up and there was my brother's car, my SIL handing the keys to me out the window. She had been pushing unlock on the remote, I just didn't see them pull up.

After that we went on a search for snowboots. At Salvation Army, we found a pair of size 8's that were mostly white, but they were girls' boots and had a little bit of pink and sparkles. We would have had to paint over that or something, and I didn't want to spend $5 and do a lot of work. At Goodwill, we found a pair of 5's and a pair of 6's. I could cram his feet into the 6's, but only barely, and again, they were $5 and who knows how long they would fit? Besides, they couldn't have been comfortable. So we'll keep looking.

At home, we ate lunch, then snuggled on the couch for a nap. I woke up at 3:20, my alarm hadn't woken me up. I had a doctor appointment scheduled for 3:45, forty minutes away. The worst part is that I already forgot this appointment and had to re-schedule it for today. I packed a diaper bag, threw a blanket around Kalten, threw him in the car, and headed out. I called on the way to let them know I was coming. I felt awful and stupid, like I couldn't do anything right today.

My weight and blood pressure look good, and Dr. T. gave me a prescription for Tylenol with codeine for my teeth for any time I can't sleep because of them, but he agreed that it's best to wait for the baby to be born before I get it fixed. Nine more weeks of this? Aarg!

1 comment:

Hello World! said...

Aww..poor you! I did hear that if that happens again and you can get someone to a cell phone with the unlock controller that you can put the keys to the phone and then the person near the car holds the cell up to the door and the other person pushes the unlock and it will unlock.....not for sure that it works though. We haven't tried it yet....

Followers